Let's Go My Way with English!

My name is Eringo. I'm a student of an University. I will introduce my English days on this blog.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

English grammar taught in junior high schools

There are many grammars in English. In the grammars, the most difficult for me was "present perfect tense". It's because Japanese do not have the notion of present perfect tense. When I was a junior high school student, I had great difficuluty in understanding the notion of it.

So, the most impoetant thing in studying the present perfect tense is to understand the notion. What dose the present perfect tense mean? Waht function dose the present perfect tense have?
At first, I think that how it is formed is not so important. First, students should understand what it means or when it is formed.
And how will I teach it now? I would like to show how to teach the present perfect tense of experience.
1. I will write the sentese "I have ever lived in Tokyo."-① , "I lived in Tokyo three years ago."-② , "I live in Tokyo now."-③ 
2.I ask the students the meaning of the sentense ②and③.
3.I let the students think the meaning of sentense ① based on the meaning of ②and③.
4.I explain the students of the meaning of sentense①.
5.I explain the present perfect tense of experiense by drawing the tense line.
6.I give the students work sheet. There are quentions like "Have you ever been to Okinawa?",
"Have you ever read "Ginga-tetsudo-no-yoru?"", or "Have you ever seen a policeman?" on the sheet.
7.Students do a pair work by using the work sheet. One student ask the question, and the other student answer.
8.Some pairs demonstrate the exchange in front of all the students.

Above is my plan. The key point is how to make the students understand the notion of the present perfect tense. And the pair work is essential for students to estabish the ability to use the sentenses.

2 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger johnwang said...

Your lesson plan is very practical and I like your idea that present perfect tense is especially hard for Japanese students to grasp because the notion of the tense simply does not exist in the language of Japanese. Due to the precise identification of the key teaching point, your teaching approach was pretty much straight forward to the point; I like it, because it sounds very effective to me. It seemed to me that you were avoiding the deliverance of the formation rules intentionally; that I think is going to cause a lot of confusion and chaos in the class when pair work is implemented.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger JH said...

Eringo,
I always enjoy reading you blog. It is well-written.
I liked your lesson plan but there is one problem: In English we can ask "Have you ever lived in Tokyo?" but we do not say "I have ever lived in Tokyo." We would say "I have lived in Tokyo" instead. If you are introducing the present perfect for the first time, I think it would be best to compare a sentence like "I have lived in Tokyo for 3 years" to ②"I lived in Tokyo 3 years ago". Students need a lot of exposure to the present perfect to understand it, so I would start with some easy examples.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home