Let's Go My Way with English!

My name is Eringo. I'm a student of an University. I will introduce my English days on this blog.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

My Advice to the People who will Go to Teaching Practice

At June 22, in the class of English teaching methodology Ⅲ, I listend to Mr.M's lecture. He is a junior high school English teacher. Through his lecure, I learned what the junior high school teachers' life is like, what is needed to be a good teacher,what is important in class, or what we should do in our campus life now. I would like to write some impressive points from Mr.M's lecture.

First is about teaching practice. Mr.M said that it is OK that teacher trainees can not make a great class, and that he want them not to fear making mistakes. What is important as a teacher trainee is to do efforts to make better class for the students.Even if you think of yourself as a just teacher trainee, the students will call you "teacher!(sensei!)". They will regard you as a grown-up teacher. Responsibility the teaching trainee has is never simple. All the teaching trainees should do their best and appreciate the opportunity of teaching practice.

Second is about how to make a good class. Mr.M said that the most important in a class is to make all the students understand the new knowledge or the class's main topic. Teachers have to think what is effective to achieve it. Japanese Junior high school students especialy are shy and do not like to speak in public. I think it should not be blamed. So, teachers should let them group-work, pair-work or line-work instead of asking the students to raise their hand and speak. When some students raise their hand and speak up something, the class will look like very active and many people may think that it is very good class. However, it is not sure if all the students participate in the class or understand the topic. On the other hand, when teacher adopt various group-work or pair-work, all the students can participate in the class.These activities will help the teachers achieve the most important thing, to make all the students understand the new knowledge.

Teaching practice is not just enjoyable. It will be sometimes hard and trying. However, I can not help getting excited about it. I would like to challenge various ways of taeching, make a lot of efforts to improve myself, and spand a priceless time with students.

I would like to thank Mr.M for giving very valuable lecture.

4 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger aNne said...

im an ALT in japanese junior high schools right now. japanese culture can make communication in English class very difficult. raising hands is not LIKELY to happen, but it shouldn't be discouraged. if some students are confident and want to add to discussion or offer an answer, sometimes it can make the PACE of the class move more quickly to let these 'willing' students answer! just an idea...good luck!

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Eringo said...

Hi anne!
Of course, teachers shouldn't prevent students from raising hands. For students, rainsing hands and speaking up something are very important in study. It is important that teachers try to make a good atmosphre for students to raise their hands. As a way of making that good mood in a class, worming up like by group-work or pair-work is very effective, I think.

Thank you so much for your commenting and very important opinion.

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Nichola said...

Hi, I am happy to read that you are excited about teaching English and trying new ideas. I am an ALT in a junior high school. My JTE is very positive and enthusiastic about teaching and learning English and I think this makes the students excited about English. If the teacher has a good attitude it "rubs off" on the students.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Steve Jang said...

Hello. I'm an ALT in Iwate prefecture. I am happy to read that you are up to the challenge of becoming a teacher. And after reading your clearly written post, I am excited about the future English teachers of Japan. I hope many more trainees will be as inspired and excited as yourself to become great teachers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home